Call 412-367-9300 to reach the Information Desk at La Roche University. To browse the directory, please select a letter from the menu above.
Michaela A Noakes, Ed.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems and Technology
Director of Instructional Design and QM Coordinator
TechSolve Coordinator, Information Technology
- Duquesne University, School of
Education – Doctorate in Instructional Technology and Leadership
- Duquesne University,
Donahue Graduate School of Business – Masters Information Systems
- Duquesne University, Donahue Graduate School of
Business – Masters in Business Administration
- Duquesne University, McNaulty Graduate
School of Liberal Arts – Masters in Social and Public
- Policy Point Park
University, Bachelor of Arts – Legal Studies
As a Doctoral graduate of Duquesne University’s School of Education, Michaela was inducted into Pi Lambda Theta, the International Honor Society for Educators. Her research interests include traumatic brain injury and meta-cognitive strategies for struggling readers, assistive technologies and sociocultural and constructivist learning theories, transformational e-learning and teaching best practices. As a computer scientist, I am actively working to enhance teacher awareness of the importance of developing STEM skills and the ways to integrate them as a cross-functional collaborative process between K-12, secondary education and strategic business partnerships by providing practical guidance in curriculum development, course selection and planning strategies which fully integrate available technologies into migrateable platforms for distribution.
co-authored a paper titled Fostering a Web 2.0 ethos in a traditional
e-learning environment which was accepted for publication and presentation at
the International Conference on E-Learning in the U.K. Other scholarly works
include two co-authored conference proceeding papers, co-authored book
chapters, and research manuscripts (in press).
Awards and Recognitions:
- Brother Gregory Nugent F.S.C. Excellence in Teaching Award (2015 and 2023).
- Faculty Marshall, Class of 2017, La Roche University
- Awarded the Brother Gregory Nugent Award for Excellence in Teaching by La Roche University (2015)
- Pi Lambda Theta International Honor Society for Educators (2011 – Present)
- Academic Scholars Program (2009 – 2014)
- Chancellor’s List (1992 – 1996)
- Alpha Sigma Lambda Gamma Epsilon Honor Society – President (1991-1992)
- National Dean’s List (1988 – 1992)
- Communications Law Practicum (1992)
- AT&T and USAir Quality Award (1990)
- AT&T Eagle Award presented by CEO, Robert Allen (1984, 1987)
- AT&T Excellence in Quality Customer Service Award (1980 – 1987)
- Masters Thesis Advisor for the MS-IS Program
- Serves as a Primary Adviser for Delta Mu Delta, Business Honor Society and AITP (Association of Information Technology Professionals)
- Noakes, M.A. (2017). DOES SPEECH-TO-TEXT ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY IMPROVE THE WRITTEN EXPRESSION OF STUDENTS WITH TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY?
- Hyatt, K.J., Noakes, M.A., & Zinger, C. (2012). Strategies for online instruction. In S. Keengwe & L. Kyei-Blankson (Eds.) Virtual Mentoring for Teachers: Online Professional Development Practices. IGI-Global, 292-300.
- Hyatt, K. J., Barron, J.L., & Noakes, M.A. (2012). Video gaming for STEM education. In S. Wang & H. Yang (Eds.). Cases on E-Learning Management: Development and Implementation. IGI-Global, 103-117. International Conference Presentation
- Martin, M. & Noakes, M. (2011). Learning by Wandering. Towards a Framework for Transformative e-Learning. Proceedings of the 10th European Conference on e-Learning Brighton Business School University of Brighton, UK 10-11 November 2011. National Conference Presentation
- Saban, K. & Noakes, M. (2010). The Role of Trust in Today's Extended Enterprise. Association of Marketing Theory & Practice. Association of Marketing Theory and Practice 2010 Annual Meeting March 25th -27th, Hilton Head, S.C. Regional Conference Presentation
- Hartzel, K.S., Noakes, M.A., Backstrom, E., George, R., Hutchko, T. (2010). Reward Systems: Perceptions of Fairness and Satisfaction in Project Teams. NABET (Northeastern Association of Business, Economics and Technology). 2010 Proceedings of the 33th Annual Meeting October 19th & 20th, 2010, State College, PA
Professional Organization Memberships:
- AACE (Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education)
- AAUW (American Association of University Women)
- Association of Information Technology Professionals
- PMI (Project Management Institute)
- Early Interventionist for Survivors of Domestic Violence (1995 – 1996)
- Law Society Treasurer (1991 – 1992)
- American Marketing Association Vice President (1984 – 1992)
Joined La Roche:
Born in Philadelphia, PA