Mandatory Student Health Insurance Policy
All full-time undergraduate (12+ credits) and graduate (6+ credits) students are required to have comprehensive medical coverage in the Pittsburgh area. To comply with this mandate, students must either enroll in the La Roche University Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), or waive it with proof of health insurance that meets the following criteria.
The plan must:
- Not exclude pre-existing conditions.
- Pay providers directly (no reimbursement policies).
- Include mental health coverage.
- Not exclude payment for illness or injury occurring under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
- Span the entire student registration (no short-term policies).
- Annual Term: Aug. 1, 2023-July 31, 2024.
- Fall Term: Aug. 1, 2023-Dec. 31, 2023.
- Spring Term: Jan. 1, 2024-July 31, 2024.
- New Spring students must respond by Feb. 13, 2024.
- International student-athletes must be enrolled in the SHIP.
- Undergraduate students, to remove the SHIP, $2,464 for the full academic year or $1,498 for the Spring 2024 semester, students must respond by the deadline. Students registered for the fall semester must respond by Sept. 15, 2023. Newly registered Spring 2024 semester students must respond by Feb. 13, 2024. The cost includes a premium and $114 advocacy and health initiative fee.
- Graduate students, to remove the SHIP, $2,46450 for the full academic year or $1,498 for the Spring 2023 semester, students must respond by the deadline. Students registered for the fall semester must respond by Sept. 15, 2023. Newly registered Spring 2024 semester students must respond by Feb. 13, 2024. The cost includes a premium and $114 advocacy and health initiative fee.
- Effective 22-23 Annual Dates: Aug. 1, 2023-July 31, 2024.
- Effective Spring 2024 Semester Dates: Jan. 1, 2024-July 31, 2023.
- New Spring Semester 2024 students must respond by Feb. 13, 2024.
In addition to the above waiver criteria, international students’ plans must:
- Pay claims in U.S. dollars.
- Have a U.S.-based claims processing center.
- Produce a copy of the full policy document in English.
- Go to QMServicesinc.com.
- Start typing La Roche University in the School selection box.
- Log in:
- Username = Student ID Number
- Password = Date of Birth (MMDDYYYY)
- After the initial login, you will be prompted to change your password to one you will remember for future logins.
- Select Enroll or Waive and follow the prompts through the process. You will receive an email telling you whether your enrollment or waiver process was successful.
What Happens if You Don’t Respond
Failure to respond by the deadline will result in automatic enrollment in the SHIP; and attempts to cancel enrollment after the deadline will incur premium and administrative fees of no less than $114, even if you do not use the SHIP.
For More Information
Visit QMServicesinc.com to learn about:
- La Roche University SHIP benefits and costs
- Saving money --- review your current plan and compare it to the SHIP
- Information regarding out-of-state Medicaid
- A special message for international students
- Dependent enrollment
- Optional dental and vision insurance
La Roche contracts with independent student health insurance administrators and advocates at QM Services Inc. For assistance, please call QM Services at 800-273-1715 ~ ext. 2.