The University will continue to update the campus community as new and relevant information or policy developments arise.
Mask Optional Campus Starting March 19
Updated March 1, 2022
Dear La Roche University community,
I am sure that you are as happy as I am to see COVID infection rates decrease substantially, leaving Allegheny County in the green zone. The low infection rates and decrease in hospitalizations have led the CDC to change health guidelines.
La Roche has done a great job at keeping our positivity rate very low and stable, thanks to your continued support and vigilance in following our mitigating protocols. We did see an uptick in January, with a total of 36 cases compared to a total of 10 cases for the entire fall semester.
Based on the findings from the CDC and our own history, we have decided to become mask optional beginning Saturday, March 19, five days after the return from Spring Break. Over the past few years, spikes in cases of COVID-19 at La Roche tend to occur immediately following breaks. Since many of our students travel domestically and internationally, it is therefore important to continue to wear masks for an additional five days. Assuming this approach works, masks will become optional on March 19.
Even though Allegheny County is categorized at the “low community level,” people can wear a mask based on personal preference and personal level of risk. People with symptoms, a positive test or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should also wear a mask.
Please note that faculty or staff may still require a mask during their class and/or program. As such, students and employees will be required to comply and should therefore have a mask with them at all times.
If you have not been vaccinated, please do so. The COVID-19 vaccine and booster are safe and effective, and the CDC continues to recommend everyone 5 and older remain up-to-date with COVID-19 vaccinations to ensure optimal protection against hospitalizations and severe outcomes.
The community must continue to exercise care and caution. We will continue to monitor COVID-19 activity on campus to determine if adjustments are needed.
Thank you for your continued support.
With warm regards,
Rosemary McCarthy, Ph.D., RN
Associate Provost and Academic Dean
Chief Pandemic Safety Officer
- January 6, 2022 - Vaccine and Testing Requirements for Spring 2022 Semester
- March 13, 2021 - Fall 2021 Campus Reopening
- February 23, 2021 - Emergency Financial Aid Grants (PDF)
- November 18, 2020 - Important Message Regarding Week of Thanksgiving (PDF)
- October 14, 2020 - Letter to Students Regarding Spring Semester (PDF)
- August 26, 2020 - Commencement Update for Class of 2020 (PDF)
- August 12, 2020 - Virtual Town Hall Video for Students (Video Link)
- August 6, 2020 - Virtual Town Halls for Students and Employees (PDF)
- July 20, 2020 - President's Return to Campus Announcement (PDF)
- June 18, 2020 - LRU Revises Start Date for Fall Semester (PDF)
- May 20, 2020 - Fall Reopening for Future Students (PDF)
- May 15, 2020 - Thirteenth (PDF)
- May 4, 2020 - Twelfth (PDF)
- April 27, 2020 - Eleventh (PDF)
- April 23, 2020 - Tenth (PDF)
- April 17, 2020 - Ninth (PDF)
- April 8, 2020 - Eighth (PDF)
- April 7, 2020 - Seventh (PDF)
- March 23, 2020 - Sixth (PDF)
- March 18, 2020 - Fifth (PDF)
- March 11, 2020 - Fourth (PDF)
- March 4, 2020 - Third (PDF)
- Feb, 28, 2020 - Second (PDF)
- Feb. 28, 2020 - First (PDF)