Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have other questions not listed below, please contact the Financial Aid Office directly at 412-536-1125 or email us at

  • What forms do I need to apply for financial aid?
    Students applying for financial aid must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be considered for any need-based federal, state or institutional aid. Students need to apply online at
  • What is La Roche’s federal school code?
    The federal school code for La Roche University is 003987.
  • What if I need help completing the forms or have an unusual circumstance?
    The Financial Aid Office staff is here to assist you in completing the forms if you have questions or need help. You should notify us of any unusual or unique circumstances (i.e., divorce, separation, unemployment, etc.), that you may have now or may have later.
  • Why do I have to submit an IRS tax statement?

    Written documentation (IRS tax return transcripts, copies of W-2 forms) to support the accuracy of the information provided on the FAFSA may be requested from the Financial Aid Office before the award process begins.

    The Financial Aid Office will notify students selected for verification regarding what is needed to complete their financial aid application. All requested information must be submitted within two weeks from the date of the request. 

    Information received after the two-week period will be considered late and processed in the order of date received. A change in Federal Regulations now requires the school to request and receive the official IRS tax account statement.

  • Do I have to be a full-time student to apply for financial aid?
    No. However, to qualify for most aid programs, you do have to enroll at least half time (six or more credits). Most La Roche University merit scholarships require you to enroll full time.
  • How can I be considered an independent student?
    An independent student is NOT a student who does not live at home with their parents, or a student who is not claimed on their parent's tax return. The Department of Education defines an independent student as someone who is one of the following:
    • At least 24 years of age
    • Married
    • Have children or dependents who receive more than half of their support from you
    • A veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
    • A graduate student
    • An orphan or ward of the court
    • An emancipated minor
    • Has a legal guardian
    • Determined to be an unaccompanied youth who was homeless
    If none of these circumstances apply, you are considered to be a dependent student for financial aid purposes. If there are extenuating circumstances, please contact the Financial Aid Office.
  • Am I eligible for financial aid if I am currently in default on a student loan?
    No. You are not eligible for financial aid if you are currently in default. If you have paid off your student loan, or have made satisfactory repayment arrangements and at least six months of payments, you will need to provide proof of this to the Financial Aid Office.
  • How will I know how much money I am eligible to receive?
    Financial Aid Counselors will evaluate your financial aid application and determine if you are eligible for the many federal, state and institutional aid programs offered at La Roche University. You are automatically considered for all grants and loans administered at the University if you meet the application deadline and financial aid criteria for these funds.

    You will be sent an award letter (freshman) or an email (upper-class) indicating the type and amount of aid you are eligible to receive. Your award letter also may include estimated awards for which the Financial Aid Office believes you may qualify. These estimated award amounts will not appear as a credit on your student bill.
  • How will I know if I am eligible for a PA State Grant?
    PHEAA will email you an award notice telling you the amount and conditions of the grant. The Financial Aid counselors will review all PA state grant awards and determine if you meet the conditions of the award.

    If you are eligible, the award will appear on your award letter. Your letter also may include an estimated award if PA state grant eligibility has not yet been determined. An estimated award will not appear as a credit on your student bill.
  • How do I apply for a Federal Direct Loan?

    Students are automatically packaged with a Federal Direct Loan. If you want to decline the loan, you must sign and return the Reply Form included with your initial award letter to indicate that you do not want the loan. First-time, first-year borrowers are required to complete an entrance interview online at and also must sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) electronically using their FSA ID. 

    If at any time you have questions on loan processing or your ability to receive loan funds, you are strongly encouraged to contact the Financial Aid Office.

  • Why are my actual loan funds less than the amount listed on my award letter?
    The actual loan funds that get posted to your student account are the amount of the loan minus the origination fees charged by the Department of Education. The Department charges an origination fee prior to sending the loan funds to the school. This fee is typically between one and three percent of the total amount of the loan.
  • What is work study, and how do I apply?

    Work study is an employment program available to students who demonstrate financial need. 

    If you indicated that you were interested in work study when you filed your FAFSA, it will be listed on your award letter, if you are eligible. 

    If you did not indicate that you were interested in work study on your FAFSA, contact the Financial Aid Office. Work-study awards do not appear as a credit on student bills.

  • How and when will I get my grant money?
    Any grant or scholarship you receive will be credited against the amount of tuition and fees that you are charged for the term. Any outstanding balance not covered by financial aid is your responsibility and non-payment could result in the loss of your classes.
  • How and when will I get my loan money?
    The loan proceeds will be credited to your semester student account. The Student Accounts Office will refund to you any excess loan funds to cover other educational expenses you may have.
  • How and when will I get my work-study money?
    Work-study funds must be earned. Students are paid once a month. All work-study funds earned are sent by direct deposit into the student's checking account.
  • How do I apply for financial aid for the summer?

    Availability of funds for the summer session is contingent upon remaining funds and the financial need of the student, as determined by the current year financial aid application. Students must have a completed current year FASFA on file in order to be considered for financial aid. 

    Students also must complete a Summer Financial Aid Application (available online and in the Financial Aid Office after February 1) and return it to the Financial Aid Office by March 15.

  • Is there an income cut-off for financial aid?
    There are many factors besides income that determine a student's eligibility for financial aid. Factors such as household size, number in college and taxes paid are just a few of the items taken into account in the determination. There also are several allowances that off-set the income. All students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA, regardless of their income.
  • Is there financial aid available if I am pursuing a second bachelor’s degree?
    Students who already have a bachelor's degree can receive Federal Direct Loans as long as they have not already borrowed the aggregate amount for undergraduate students ($31,000 for dependent students; $57,500 for independent students). Students also may qualify for Federal Work Study.
  • What happens if I change my housing status?

    A student's financial aid award will be reviewed if a student's housing status changes. Financial aid awards may increase, decrease or stay the same. 

    Contact the Financial Aid Office regarding your specific situation as each situation must be reviewed separately. Dependent students who move off campus must provide the Financial Aid Office with a signed copy of their lease.

  • Does becoming a resident assistant affect my financial aid package?
    A student's financial aid may be affected if a student wants to become a Resident Assistant. Contact the Financial Aid Office regarding the status of your award.
  • Can I receive financial aid if I study abroad?
    Students must complete the necessary financial aid paperwork and study through an approved program in order to receive federal and state funding. Students who study abroad are not eligible to receive any La Roche University funding.
  • Is there financial aid available for graduate programs?
    Yes. Students are eligible to borrow through the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan program and the Federal Direct GradPLUS loan program. Students must submit the FAFSA. You also may secure grants and scholarships from sources outside of the University.
  • What do I do if I want to add or drop a class?
    Always check with the Financial Aid Office before you add or drop any classes to see if your financial aid will be affected.
  • What do I do if I want to completely withdraw from classes?
    If you completely withdraw from La Roche University and you have received any Federal Title IV aid, including a Federal Direct Student Loan, you only may have “earned” a portion of that aid, based upon the date you withdraw or cease to attend classes. That portion of “unearned” financial aid must be repaid according to regulations enacted for Federal Title IV aid recipients.

    It is important for you to understand that if you completely withdraw and have received a refund for textbooks and other expenses, you may have to repay some or all of that refund before being eligible for further Federal Title IV assistance. Please notify the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing from classes so that you may be made fully aware of your responsibilities with regard to repayment of funds received. Funds will be returned in the following order:
    1. Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
    2. Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
    3. Federal Direct PLUS
    4. Federal Pell Grant
    5. Federal SEOG
    6. Other Title IV Aid
  • What if I need additional funds to help pay for school?

    If a student needs additional funds to help pay for their education or educational-related expenses, they should consider one of the following options:

    Perform a scholarship search: There are a number of sites for student scholarships where students create an online profile and conduct their own scholarship searches. 

    Investigate payment plan options: Find a payment plan that works best for you. Contact the Student Accounts Office for more information at 412-536-1030.

    Apply for a Federal Direct Parent PLUS loan: Parents can apply for loan funds to assist students finance their education. Parents can apply online at The parent should sign in using the parent's Social Security number, the parent's date of birth and the parent's FSA ID number. Complete a credit check.

    If the parent's credit is approved, the parent should sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN). Keep in mind that any approved funds will be split between the fall and spring semesters. If the parent is denied a PLUS loan due to adverse credit, the student becomes eligible for additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan funds.

    Apply for an Alternative Loan (private loan): Students must be credit-worthy as defined by the individual lender or apply with a credit-worthy cosigner. Students can access a list of possible lenders for La Roche University at Private Lender List.