The Chemistry Department at La Roche University invites applications for a full-time assistant professor/instructor to teach Analytical Chemistry and labs, General Chemistry labs, and to engage Chemistry majors in authentic laboratory research. A Ph.D. in Chemistry or equivalent and three years of college teaching experience are required. La Roche places a special value on the teaching role of its faculty, and candidates for this position will be evaluated principally on the basis of their potential to be outstanding teachers. Contributions to student advising, college service and professional scholarly activity will also be considered. This position is considered to be full time and is scheduled to begin in August 2023.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Teach a minimum of 12 credits each semester.
- Primary courses of instruction will include lecture and laboratory courses in Analytical Chemistry (B.S. chemistry and biochemistry majors) and Physical Chemistry (B.S. chemistry and biochemistry majors), and Principles of Chemistry (B.S Health Sciences students.)
- Instruct and engage undergraduate chemistry majors in authentic laboratory research.
- Additional courses of instruction may include undergraduate courses in Polymer Chemistry, General Chemistry, Seminar in Chemistry, Directed Research, Independent Study, or Internship supervision, undergraduate Study Abroad/Study USA travel courses, or other Chemistry-related courses, as needed.
- Perform all duties related to preparation, instruction, and assessment of courses.
- Consider innovative classroom pedagogies, coupled with the scholarship of teaching and learning, to pursue the most effective teaching practices.
- Promote undergraduate research experience for Chemistry majors as in-class activities, directed research credits, and/or honors thesis research projects.
- Maintain current knowledge in the field of chemistry
- Follow established teaching procedures and protocols within the Academic Affairs Division.
- Maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise students in academic, curricular, and professional issues.
- Become familiar with academic program requirements, course rotations and course requirements as well as advising, registration and graduation requirements and procedures.
- Write student letters of recommendation.
- Attend required departmental and divisional meetings and college-wide activities.
- Serve on faculty, academic, and/or governance committees.
- Support student organizations, college-wide initiatives, and/or community service activities.
Scholarship/Professional Development: Related to college teaching and learning, as well as area of academic specialization.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry or equivalent required.
- Three years of teaching experience at the college/university level required (may include part-time or TA.)
- Post-doctoral research experience preferred.
- Experience engaging undergraduates in authentic chemistry laboratory research preferred.
- Experience with learning management systems such as Canvas
Qualified applicants can complete an online application by clicking on the following link:
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Candidates must pass background clearances and submit official transcripts prior to the issuance of a contract. Review of applicants will begin immediately; position open until filled.